Total Pageviews

5/28/13

The use of thousands of carefully placed, multi-coloured sewing buttons !

Augusto Esquivel is an artist from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Represented by the Now Contemporary Art Gallery in Miami, Augusto's work involves the use of thousands of carefully place, multi-coloured sewing buttons. On his website he describes his process:

"I am often obsessed with comparisons of reality and potential and the balance between them, in art: the idea of chaos in perfect order: an object seemingly solid to the eye can also be fragile and inconsistent to the touch; a common object used to create a piece of art becomes transformed into something complicated and intriguing.

I realize how insignificant and small a simple sewing button can be as it lays in my grandmother's sewing box, but at the same time how unique and precious it can become as part of a work of art. Like an atom in a molecule, each button serves and shapes the whole. I hold the button to my ear and it whispers to me, 'I want to be...'"

Below you will find a small sample of Esquivel's wonderful artwork.

No comments: